Bravehearts founder Hetty Johnston declares she will run as an independent in Queensland electionJason Oxenbridge
Dwayne Grant, Gold Coast Bulletin
November 1, 2017 12:46pm
BRAVEHEARTS founder Hetty Johnston will run as an independent in the State election.
Having dedicated two decades to the Arundel-based child sexual abuse advocacy group, the former Queensland Australian of the Year this morning announced she will stand for the Logan seat of Macalister when the State goes to the polls on November 25.
“The issue of child protection will always be my priority and that is what motivates me to stand for Parliament,” Mrs Johnston said.
Hetty Johnston, pictured with former premier Campbell Newman and Southport MP Rob Molhoek, is no stranger to political circles.
“My pledge is to make this state the safest in the country for our children … (but) the time has now come for me to turn my attention to other issues equally important to me as a concerned citizen, mother, grandmother, wife and ratepayer.
“This includes small business and commerce, tourism and, most importantly, political accountability and transparency.
“I have watched various parties come and go as our representatives and with them I have seen various promises come and go too. They just take turns in letting us down and to be frank, I’ve had enough.
“I think we’ve all had enough and it’s time for action.”
Hetty Johnson with Pauline Hanson.
Mrs Johnston’s decision to run for Parliament follows a brief tilt at the Logan mayoralty in late 2015 before she withdrew from the poll after her elderly mother had a fall.
“My parents have come second right through this (Bravehearts) and I just had an awakening,” she told the Bulletin earlier this year.
“Before the campaign really started, I thought ‘Stuff it, it’s their time (to come first)’.”
Mrs Johnston, a former Queensland leader of the then Australian Democrats, said she would remain as Bravehearts chairwoman and continue as its national spokeswoman.